Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > General Board

Old 09-19-2001, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe
Default What was your first computer?

What was your first computer?

Mine was a Laser 386 with 16 MB of ram and a 200 mb hard drive.  I originally had windows 3.1 installed on it but i was able to get windows 95 on it.
Old 09-20-2001, 12:04 AM
dave

Default Re: What was your first computer?

Mine was an IBM XT.

Later we got an IBM 386 with dos and 4mb of ram - it could play wheel of fortune. woot!.

My first windows machine was a Leading Edge 486SX-25 w/4mb ram and a 250mb seagate harddrive. It came with windows 3.1 and I later managed to shove Windows 95 onto it when it became available. Had to upgrade the ram when I got the game Mortal Kombat. (not sure which version). anyway - it wouldn't run on 4mb of ram.) upgraded the machine to a 486 DX-100 overclocked to 120 w/16mb of ram, and later to a 586 125 overclocked to 150 w/32mb of ram. Still have the machine today - it is churning along with an early distro of redhat on it.
Old 09-20-2001, 06:45 AM
Propig

My first was a Dell Dimension, 4g hard drive, 266 mhz and 32mb Ram. I bought it 4 years ago and I still have it. I am getting ready to upgrade the ram. Hopefully it will last another year until I can get a new one.
Old 09-20-2001, 02:28 PM
Grinnin Reaper

Commodore 64 from the time when processor speed wasn't even discussed just the whooping 64 K of Ram.  Had an   external 5 1/4 drive.  Only took 5 minutes to load some of the simplest games.  Lot's of lockups and I'm just very thankful I didn't have the tape drives.  Up to 45 minutes to load data.  But the second you turned it on it was on. No Post ;D , no loading windows , just turn it on and go.  It even used Atari controllers for games.
Old 09-20-2001, 03:11 PM
kfan

Commodore 64 was my first as well and I had one of the tape drives.  Damn I'm old  :-[  
Here are some specs I found:
CPU: 6510, 0.985 MHz (PAL) and 1.02 MHz (NTSC).
ROM: 20 Kbytes.
RAM: 64 Kbytes.
Sound: SID 6581, 3 channels of lovely sound.
Display: VIC-II, 16 colours, text resolution at 40 x 25. Graphics resolution at 320 x 200.
Storage: Tape interface or a 5 1/4" floppy drive that can store 170k/side.
Keyboard: Non-standard ASCII, 66 keys.
Old 09-20-2001, 03:45 PM
Hulaboy

Oh man, that brings memories to me.  My first comp was a Commodore 64, followed by a Commodore 128D, then an Amiga.  Once that wore off I then got a 16 Mhz PC (Packard Bell...POS!).  
Old 09-20-2001, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

he he he
packard hell
Old 09-21-2001, 03:36 AM
Hpub_Val

heh mine was a dell p2 266mhz 32mb ram 6gig the first one out of my friends with a 2d/3d card LOL they couldnt belive it... i think it was teh rivia 128 or something hmm velocity? i forget but hey it was agp and had 4mb's vid ram!!

also i trashed the comp first week i got it and need a restore disk LOL...

ah those were the days heh all i have from it is my good old usr 56k winmodem and a floppy and cdrom drive

1mb dsl was sure nice thing man could never go back to 56k
Old 09-21-2001, 05:29 AM
Grinnin Reaper

And my wife had an Apple II, the monochrome ones.  Let's all pray for her for a moment that she can't outlive this autrocite.  (By the way she is looking over my shoulder).
Old 09-25-2001, 08:25 AM
brainiac

hehe, a trs-80 from radio shack. i was stoked when i got the external tape drive. oh, and the 320 baud modem to dial into compuserver 300 miles away.

i still have it... somewhere...