Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 11-12-2001, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess
Default WinXP Pro question

how is it going everyone?
i have been looking for winXP pro and have found a decent deal at buycheapsoftware.com, if it is what i think it is. for $152, they have the Windows XP Pro Full DSP version.
What does DSP mean?

any help would be nice. ;D

also, anyone shopped at pricewatch.com before? i am not sure if it would be a good idea to shop there.
Old 11-12-2001, 09:40 PM
Golden Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to wizbones
Default Re: WinXP Pro question

Vee_ess,

DSP means "Delivery Service Partner". DSP software is similar to OEM software however there is no manufacturer’s name stamped on the manual or printed on the license. DSP software is more generic and OEM software is sold directly to the computer manufacturer. DSP software is distributed for smaller system integrators and system builder hobbyists for “clone” or no-name computers. Like OEM versions, DSP versions often come with only an electronic help manual, which is built-in to the software or a small getting-started manual. The software itself contains the same programs as the Retail Box version, except the Retail Box version normally comes with a small printed manual. Both OEM and DSP Microsoft software include a COA, which is a Certificate Of Authenticity label or sticker from the manufacturer.

Since DSP and OEM software is typically sold to more advanced users, system builders and computer consultants there is no technical support provided by the software manufacturer. However, because of the substantial support savings to the manufacturer the DSP and OEM versions are offered for sale at a significantly lower price.

I know, more info than you wanted right? And no I've never shopped at either of the web addresses you've specified so have no answer for those, will leave that to someone else. Have a good one.
The Maximum Effective Range of an Excuse is Zero point Zero Meters!
Old 11-12-2001, 10:09 PM
kfan

You can get an OEM version of XP Pro at Directron for $145
Old 11-12-2001, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

[quote author=vee_ess link=board=general&num=1005596842&start=0#0 date=11/12/01 at 14:27:22]
also, anyone shopped at pricewatch.com before? i am not sure if it would be a good idea to shop there.
[/quote]

Well, you don't exactly shop at pricewatch, per se.  Think of pricewatch more as a search engine, specifically for finding really really good prices for hardware, sofware, and such.  I personally love pricewatch, and would probably be at least $500 poorer without its help.  What you really need to look into is the credentials of the sites to which it reffers you.

I haven't personally heard of buycheapsoftware.com, but I also haven't had any problems with buying things online, despite the massive number of things I've bought.  If you're really worried about it, you can go with a bigger-name site like directron.com, but you'll probably pay a little more too.