Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Networking

Old 10-03-2002, 11:23 PM
Greg Orza

Default static ip address to real ip addres..

ok, i am running 2 win xp pro comps in my house.. networked with a crossover cable, and 2 nics in server, 1 in host.. so now.. the host computer. "my computer" has a static ip address and i want a real one so i can use vnc.. with vnc "virtual network computing" u need a real ip address to get your remote computer on the net.. so now.. is there ANYWAY for my computer to get a real ip address without spending any money or moving anything around????? would port redirection work, and if so, how would i do it, or NAT???? would that work?? im thinking redirect the vnc connection to the server, up to my computer.. any suggestions.. i cant get anything to work?
Old 10-04-2002, 03:08 AM
T-shirt

Not sure what you mean by a "real"IP address.
do you mean assigned by a DCHP server?
You can have multiple IP's for a single NIC.
ie; your have a static IPin the "private " range
(10.0.0.xx~255.255.255.0) for your LAN (and you could use NetBEUI, for added security) then setup your Vnc and allow it to bind to the same physical adapter. and allow it to use the DCHP of whatever system you are networking to.

Or you could use a proxy?
Or maybe I just don't understand what you're asking?
Old 10-04-2002, 05:57 PM
Greg Orza

hmm.. im just lookin to get an ip address that can communicate with the outside world... i have 192.168.0.2 right now... that can only communicate over the network... so i just want to be able to use vnc over a cleint computer.. thats the best i can describe it

thanx
greg
Old 10-04-2002, 06:11 PM
eviltechie

to find ur ip address on the internet (not intranet or LAN), go to ur comp with modem connected
use either winipcfg for win9x
or go to command prompt and type ipconfig /all for winNT, 2k and XP (basicaly NT core)
Old 10-05-2002, 01:40 AM
Greg Orza

i know that... but that doesnt have anything to do with my computer right now.. i have a static ip.. of 192.168.0.2 i just need to use vnc and u cant use vnc with an ip address of that type.
Old 10-05-2002, 01:42 AM
eviltechie

what do u mean of that type????

what exactly is the question???

im confused

i thought u want to find out ur WAN IP
Old 10-05-2002, 06:58 AM
T-shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Orza
i know that... but that doesnt have anything to do with my computer right now.. i have a static ip.. of 192.168.0.2 i just need to use vnc and u cant use vnc with an ip address of that type.
192.168.0.2 is your local address.
run NETSTAT while you are logged on to determine what IP your ISP assigns you.
Try it several times during different sessions to determine if it is static(better, but not likely) or dynamic (changes at each log-on or once a hour, day, week, etc. as set by your ISP)
Old 10-05-2002, 07:13 AM
T-shirt

still not sure what you are trying to do, perhaps this will helphttp://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/
looks like it is more picky about the port # than the IP.

192.168.0.2 can't be used directly because it is in the reserved Class C private address space
Old 10-06-2002, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

I'm pretty sure I understand what you want/need.

You're assigned one WAN IP address (what I believe you considered a "real" IP address) from your ISP. This is what you'll have to use to connect to any computer on your LAN. With your current setup, you can only connect to the server computer (the one with two NICs). With ICS, however, you should be able to do what's called port forwarding, so you can connect from the WAN (another computer on the internet) to your second computer (192.168.0.2). What you'll have to do for this, is configure the server computer's ICS.

Go into the Internet Connection's properties, and then choose the Advanced tab. The box for "Allow other network users to connect through theis computer's Internet connection" should already be checked, so go into "Settings." Then add a new service (name it something like WinVNC1, and then enter 192.168.0.2 in the IP address of the computer you want external access to. Then you need to share external and internal port 5800 for TCP (if you're using the web java client for WinVNC). If you're going to use the VNC Viewer, I believe you want to share port 5900 TCP. I can't guarantee these settings are all you'll need, as I'm just doing this from memory, but that's the basic process you need.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:01 AM
Goat

Dude you can use VNC with any IP address as long as it is a valid one.

Although I am sort of wrong. I doubt you could use a 169.254.xxx.xxx ip to vnc to. But I could have a feeling that it would work if you had the entire address. I think a guy from work has done an SMB file transfer with a 169.254.xxx.xxx address.