Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 12-08-2001, 10:41 AM
Simo

Default Broadband Usage

This is one for all you xDSL and Cable users out there.
As some of you may have noticed from one of my recent posts I am soon getting ADSL from netspace.com.au.
They are the best deal going in Oz @ the moment....but still suck compared to the USoffers..
Anyway there are two things I want to do with this thread

a) Im just going to tell you the plan Im subscring to so you can see how lucky you US guys are. (note prices are aussie dollars so half everything you see to get price in US dollars)

b) I want you to tell me how much bandwidth you use a month, what sort of speed up/down you get and how you relised how much luckier you are than me after seeing the plan above

Seriously I want to know how much you guys d/l and what it is.

Heres my plan.
(NOTE: peak time is from 7am to 11.59pm off peak is midnight to 6.59am)
[glow=red,2,300]
Home Broadband 512 ($99 a month)
Once off connection fee $239

Included Peak Usage/Month 3000mb
Excess Peak Usage/month 16.9c

Included Off Peak Usage/Month 7000mb
Excess Off Peak Usage/month 10c
[/glow]
What this means of course is Im going to have to use peak for gaming.email/surfing and line up my d/ls for after midnight using get right.

Thanks

Simo  
Old 12-08-2001, 12:53 PM
cc_dex

Default Re: Broadband Usage

Well Simo, that sucks.  I get Shaw @ home for $40 Canadian dollars a month  (About 25 american dollars) and I have unlimited usage.  Unlimited d/ls, unlimited surfing UNLIMITED EVERYTHING.  It is a pretty reliable service, I have had  a couple incidents before which pissed me off but everything is ok now.  You should move to Canada.  Cheaper things here (Especially with our dollar being as low as it is)
Old 12-09-2001, 01:46 PM
SinnopS

i gots at&t cable and everything is unlinited.. 50 a month thou  :-[

Old 12-09-2001, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

Simo,

I would have to say that deal sucks horribly.  I pay 40 bucks a month for 768K cable without any limits.  The installation fee was 30 bucks.  That company is trying to rape you fast and quick!

Get ISDN
Old 12-09-2001, 05:05 PM
cc_dex

Simo the Admin is right go with IDSN or if you can get it T1.
Old 12-09-2001, 10:27 PM
Simo

You guys forget that Im in Australia.
DoV ISDN costs about $10 an hour and we dont have T1.
Telstra will equip you with a T1 eqivelent alled Wideband IP for a $20000 install fee and another $20000 a year.
Believe me this is the best deal in Australia.

Other DSL deals are (all for 512/128 per month)
UNLIMITED $999
3 GIG $110
2 GIG $99
400meg $54.95

Hopefully now telstra have lowered the wholesale price to other ISPs fr the "last mile" copper things will get abit better.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:08 PM
lynchmob

For Australia, that is actually not a bad price.  What will get that price down is when other companies realize that demand for a more inexpensive exists in Australia.  The effect trickles down into the home environment.
Old 12-10-2001, 09:28 PM
Simo

ILike I said its the best deal in Australia....so good that people are rushing to  sign on.

Now that the ACCC has forced Telstra to lower there wholesale price by 30% we should start seeing some real competition in the next few months.
Old 12-23-2001, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

Well, as kind of a weird thing, and lucky for some of us, the US seems to be (one of) the only country/countries that has mostly unlimited usage/month for most things (phone lines, internet, etc.).  Web hosts and cell phones are pretty much the only things like that, that I can think of, which still operate in that manner.  I don't have broadband, or any way to monitor how much up/down I use anyway, so sorry in that aspect.  I'm assuming the stats are up and down combined.  I think 10 gb should probably be enough, but that's just my guess.  Needless to say, you probably shouldn't host a server on your connection.