Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 05-31-2003, 08:10 PM
tokrz

Default cpu usage 100% how to....

I have an aplication that keeps crashing on me after about 1-2 hours of usage, I checked the cpu usage while running and it is maxxed ouit at 100% the entire time the aplication runs is there anyway to reduce the amopunt of cpu usage it requires or to slow it down? Im thinking that this is why it is crashing....
Old 06-01-2003, 12:58 AM
GBRRICCI

do you have an ECS mobo?
-hehe j/k that was my problem until i got rid of it, what kind of hardware do you have?

what program are you running?
Old 06-01-2003, 05:00 AM
tokrz

What aplication is it you ask, hehehe, I cant tell u specificly what the aplication is,. youll see what I mean in a moment. I can tell you what it does though. It automates 2 instances of another program keeping u online and playing (hint), playing what? a game inside a game. It functions much like a sophisticated set of macros both keyboard and mouse actions, it operates very quickly and is continously on the go. It is also a subscription based program that uses netframework as part of it security protection to keep it from being cracked. Thats about as much detail I can get into without being more specific. Since it is a subscription based program the thought has crosssed my mind that maybe it was intended to crash becouse if it worked as the designer says it should his income from this aplication would soon come to an end. Also the small amount of users who have this aplication are all having the same results with it, except for one individual who claims it will run for 5 to 6 hours. Everyone else reports that it runs for 2-3 hours and then hangs or crash's. perhaps its just the cpu over heating that couses these adverse effects that was my first assumption after monitoring it and relising that the cpu usage is maxxed out at 100% the entire time the aplication runs, the memory usage stays between 300 to 332 megs the entire time.

If anyone thinks they might now how to make run more stable please let me know, I have also messed with running processes priority levle in task manager with no luck. It was designed for windows XP as well.

My system specs are as follows:

Motherboard: MSI 845E Max 2
Sound: Onboard AC97
Network: Onboard Adapter

CPU: Pentium 4 2.0 GHz 400 mhz fsb Northwood (512K L2 Cache)
Ram: Corsair 512 Megs PC2100 DDR
Video: Geforce3 ti500
Drives: Western Digital 30 GB Caviar, Seagate 60 GB, HP dvd writer dvd200i

Drivers, bios version, windows updates etc etc are all upto date.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:18 AM
Grinnin Reaper

If your running a game, let alone 2 instances of it your gonna be maxed out 100%. I don't know of any ways to throttle it back, but it everyone else is crashing I don't think it's your rig or heat. Sounds like shoddy programming. CPU's can run at 100% for extended periods of time with no harm, the heatsink is made to take it. Big thing is ask the guy that stays up the longest what is diffrent about his rig. May be running a diffrent version of directX. Try to mimic as many settings as you can.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

You could try going into the task manager once it's running, and changing the process's base priority to a lower setting. That way it wouldn't interfere with other processes that try to access the CPU.

That's the same way that programs like SETI@home work. They claim to use "idle" CPU cycles, because they set the process priority very low, so that any other applications that attempt to access the CPU will take priority over it, so it doesn't interfere with normal computing.