Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 05-22-2002, 10:10 AM
Old Guy

Default LAN NOS - W2k or Netware?

I have an old Netware 3.12 server running our LAN. I am having compatibility problems with some of our workstations and older applications. I will buy a new server, and will also be able to buy a new NOS. Any recommendations on the NOS? I've earned both a Novell CNE 5 and Microsoft MCSE, so I am knowledgeable about them. I have a 42 node network. The basic services needed are file, print, authentication, and e-mail. Any thoughts as to why W2K is better than Netware, or why Netware would be better than W2K? Thanks.
Old 05-24-2002, 05:44 PM
Chef

Default Re: LAN NOS - W2k or Netware?

Anything /\/\icroS would NEVER be better then anything Netware or Unix or Apache hehe

W2K is the best from micro because it is combining the MAXIMUM features of other's technology, lucky for us not building on world's brightest minds ...

so when you have

DNS from UNIX (BIND)
Tree strucure from Netware
Kerberos from Kerberos  ;D
All the TCP/IP stuff from you know who
L2TP from Cisco
IAS from RADIUS (AAAA -> UNIX as far as I remember)
Smart card from Schlumberger (?)

and much more

the next question is : why to use all-in-one instead of the good one (that's kick ass rhyme dudes)

Go for NW5 as Novell was smart enough finally to make some use of TCP/IP.

The whole idea of W2K is around tree structure (originaly Netware) plus DNS and caboo we have Active Directory.

I think that's where they screwed it. Using FQDN naming scheme and building the whole thing aroung it (just to convince you that Internet's future belongs to /\/\icro's hehe) in small-to-medium enterprise is not effecient and never would be, so instead of freaking out the Internet idea why not to stick to old good IBM NetBIOS names plus WINS -> windows internet (- for some reason  ???) naming system

Good luck for Old Guy
go for Netware cause SiB
Old 05-28-2002, 10:47 AM
Old Guy

Thanks, Chef. That makes good sense, and tells me what I needed to know. I was thinking along those lines, but wasn't sure about W2K's reliability.
Old 05-28-2002, 04:27 PM
Chef

basically W2K is not bad at all, depends on what you want to do with it. For basic services and small LAN W2K can be absolutely fine, but some hardware upgrade maybe required.
Now that I've noticed : compatibility with W2K may be painful issue. You have to check first if legacy applications would run properly in W2K environment.
W2K server can also authenticate workstations with NWClient installed. So you don't have to set pure W2K network.