Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Networking

Old 05-28-2001, 10:22 PM
techman

Default Windows 2000 Professional Weirdness!?

I am running Windows 2000 Professional on my home computer.  I have a peer-to-peer LAN with 5 pc's on it.  The weirdness is that every five-or-so minutes the LAN connection will disconnect and then reconnect.  This bring real troubles when i am trying to complete large data transfers.  Does anyone know what that problem could be?
Old 05-28-2001, 10:48 PM
Hulaboy

Default Re: Windows 2000 Professional Weirdness!?

Is the disconnection coming from your ISP's side or is it coming from your internal network? If it's coming from your internal network it might be a faulty network cable going bad. Does this happen only to one particular PC or is it experienced throughout the whole network? You might want to try other cables first or perhaps any settings you might have if you have any security software installed?

Also, if it's just on one particular PC, you could try running the NIC diagnostics to see if it might be due to a failing NIC card as well.
Old 05-29-2001, 10:07 AM
Narse77

If its all the PCs you might want to try a differant Hub or switch to see if that is the cause of your problems, also are you using just IP?
Old 06-24-2002, 10:44 AM
Old Guy

I had the same problem on my LAN when I installed a Windows 2000 Server. We use Netware, and the connections to the W2K server were getting dropped. There is a command line setting that will prevent this. I found the  answer on Microsoft's site at Q297684. The command line should go like this: net config server /autodisconnect:-1

The silver bullet is the negative one, which disables the autodisconnect feature.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

I am not sure this would be a software problem, although it does sound like it could be the software problem suggested previously. I do believe that this would be caused by some piece of equipment with a bad connection somewhere. So when you check your cables and hub, etc., also check the connectors...Dust and dirt can cause some of the simplest, yet hardest-to-diagnose problems.