Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 06-15-2001, 09:19 PM
chaplndave

Default Clone CD???

Anyone know anything about a software program called "Clone CD"?  I know you need a program like this to copy a CD on a CD-RW drive.  Anyone had any experience with it?  Are there any competing software packages out there?  Does anyone know where I can buy it?

Thanks for the help, Chaplndave
Old 06-15-2001, 11:01 PM
Hulaboy

Default Re: Clone CD???

Clone CD is a type of CD mastering program. There are lots of programs like it such as Roxio's Easy CD Creator and Nero.  Some have some special features that the others might not have.  It all depends on what you would like to do with the software or what kind of job you are working on.  The three I just stated above are my favorites.  You can go to any respectable software retail store and get them there or you can go to their respective websites and purchase them online as well.  Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 06-16-2001, 10:10 AM
chaplndave

[quote author=Hulaboy link=board=software&num=992661584&start=0#1 date=06/15/01 at 23:01:56]
Clone CD is a type of CD mastering program. There are lots of programs like it such as Roxio's Easy CD Creator and Nero.  Some have some special features that the others might not have.  It all depends on what you would like to do with the software or what kind of job you are working on.  The three I just stated above are my favorites.  You can go to any respectable software retail store and get them there or you can go to their respective websites and purchase them online as well.  Let me know if you have any other questions.
[/quote]

Thanks Hulaboy...I am assuming then (I know I should never assume anything....)that if I buy a TDK veloCD 16x10x40x which comes with Nero 5 that I will not necessarily need to buy any other software for general copying i.e. games, making copies of software programs for archival purposes, etc.  Does the Nero 5 pick up all of the raw and subchannel stuff and copy it onto the new disk?

Hey...by the way, how come almost every time I come to the Netsmog forum I'm the only one here?  This is a great forum...nicely setup, great colors, easy to use, etc.  So many people are missing out on a great opportunity here.
Old 06-17-2001, 04:46 AM
Hulaboy

Yes, you're correct in assuming that chapIndave.  However, I really don't know if the copy of Nero 5 that you'll be receiving with the burner is the full retail version or the lite version.  In any case, if all you're after is archival and copying then you really don't need anything other than the lite.  Only when you get into some other applications (i.e photo album stuff, VCD stuff, etc.) will you ever need the full retail version.  I'm speaking for Roxio's Easy CD Creator when I say "other applications."  I haven't tinkered around with Nero enough to know what else it can do. My experience with Nero has been really good though.  It'll copy practically anything.
Old 06-17-2001, 05:56 AM
chaplndave

Everything I have read just states that the veloCD comes with Nero 5...no mention of a lite program.  Again, I'm assuming...and I  know that this is dangerous...that it will be the full retail version...or...then again...it might be a program that is specifically taylored to the veloCD.  Hmmmmm...good  question...guess I'll have to go to the site and see if they have a place where I can ask the question.  Thanks Hulaboy!
Old 06-17-2001, 06:02 AM
chaplndave

Oh...Hulaboy...the reason I have been swayed away from the Plextor is primarily because of the lack of attention to detail when it comes to the software package.  The old Adeptek Easy CD Creator (before Roxio spun off from Adeptek) is still version 4.x  Plextor is probably suffering a bit of market decline   because they have not kept up with the times.  The old software that they include is well over a year old.  Darn...I'm in the office so I can't give you a reference...but a recent review (it may have been one from PC World) stated that even though the Plextor drive was a good one...that the burn times for the 16x10x40x were not much better than the 12x versions.  That and the fact that they include the old software package made it a burner that they could not strongly recommend.  I had always wanted a Plextor until I started reading some of this stuff.  This made me look elsewhere and what I found was the TDK.
Old 06-17-2001, 06:02 AM
chaplndave

Oh...Hulaboy...the reason I have been swayed away from the Plextor is primarily because of the lack of attention to detail when it comes to the software package.  The old Adeptek Easy CD Creator (before Roxio spun off from Adeptek) is still version 4.x  Plextor is probably suffering a bit of market decline   because they have not kept up with the times.  The old software that they include is well over a year old.  Darn...I'm in the office so I can't give you a reference...but a recent review (it may have been one from PC World) stated that even though the Plextor drive was a good one...that the burn times for the 16x10x40x were not much better than the 12x versions.  That and the fact that they include the old software package made it a burner that they could not strongly recommend.  I had always wanted a Plextor until I started reading some of this stuff.  This made me look elsewhere and what I found was the TDK.
Old 06-17-2001, 01:43 PM
Hulaboy

Yes, it's too bad that the software bundle that comes with the Plextor drives are a bit outdated.  I have Easy CD Creator 5 and it's well worth the upgrade from 4.x.  When I got my burner I didn't have the software bundle that came along with it...the drive is cheaper that way.  I also had Roxio by then anyway, so I really didn't have any need for another program.  If you decide to go with the TDK burner I'd like to hear what your experience is on it.
Old 07-24-2001, 10:24 AM
awesomedell

I realize that this org. post is over a month old, but wanted to add my 2 cents worth.  I have a Sony CD-RW model crx-160e, it came with Adaptec Easy CD creator & Adaptec DirectCD, ver 4.3, I use the DirectCD all the time and find it very user friendly.  My only problem with it is that you can't read burned cd's in dos mode, system must be running at least Win95.  Wasn't aware there was an updated version of these programs, but I'll be checking their site for one.
Old 07-29-2001, 12:35 PM
Hulaboy

No problem about posting even if the thread is over a month old awesomedell.  These things are always going.  Well, I just wanted to followup on my posts here.  I've had some time using Clone CD and I have to say that it's one powerful piece of software.  It ranks with burning software like CDRWin and Nero.  Easy CD Creator is just that...for the easy stuff.  However, if you want to make backup software of your games that have the copy protection in place then you'll need something more powerful than Easy CD Creator.  We are entitled by law to make one backup copy of the software that we purchase.

Enter Clone CD.  There is a program I have that can detect what type of protection scheme there is on the CD and forward the settings to Clone CD and then I can make a backup copy of it then flawlessly.  Really nice.  Anyway, I would recommend Clone CD any day now that I've had time to try it out.  Let me know if anyone has any questions or whatnot.