Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 05-22-2006, 04:34 PM
Junior Techie

Default Few "Tips 4 Keeping UR Lappy COOL"!

Well im a newbie to this forum, but not a NOOB about computer/laptops.

I myself had a major overheat problem, I tried to clean the fan grill - but it did not help. So I tried varies things such as drill a few holes in the casing where the cpu heatsink (metal thing screwed or fitted with clips on top cpu) is located to allow airflow from my notbook cooler still did not work! Actually forget the story lets get on with the tips.

Tips will be devised into two sections one for beginners and second for advanced users.

Beginner Level:
1. Purchase a Notebook/Laptop cooler! (advisable)
2. Use a Hoover to suck any dust around any vents
3. Still not working get some one to check it!

Advanced Users: (do at your own risk!)
1. Unscrew the plastic casing under your lappy (some may just be in sections like my compaq, your cpu will be located where the fans are)
2. If possible remove heat sink and get rid of all dust trapped in the fins, with a tooth pik or some form of blower (i just washed mine - no soap of course)
3. Check the cpu+heatsink thermal paste (maybe white or grey depending what the manufacturers used - mine was white and all dried up with only tiny bit covering the cpu) change if needed.
4. Modify case! (drill holes, attach a few more fans etc.)

Few things to look out for!
-Computer switches it self off (feel around to see if it is hot)
-Lagging/sluggish
-Constant high whirring noise from the fan (means cpu is HOT)

My laptop was strange when i connected the ac adapter the laptop switches it self of after few mins and if I had the power cable not connected the laptop will last for ages but heated up, tried loads of things to keep it cool. Until i decided to remove the heatsink and found the problem. Which was - not much thermal paste there, so I cleaned it with a thermal paste remover such as akasa TIM-clean, dried up the cpu and heatsink with a clean cloth, then added some Artic Silver 5 compound (thermal paste) - Problem sorted .

Hope this helps, been seing too many threads about "Help me my laptop is overheating" do some research and stop bothering us!
Old 05-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Mad Techie

Be careful when doing the tips under "Advanced Users".. It could easily void your warranty.

Asus A8N SLI - Opteron 148 @ 2.8 under a Zalman 7000cu LED - XFX 7800GT oc'd - 1gb Kingston Hyper X pc3000 BH5 2-2-2 - OCZ ModStream 450watt - WD 36gb Raptor - WD 320gb Storage Drive - Antec Super LanBoy - NEC 3550A 16x DVD Burner
Accessories:
ViewSonic VA1912wb 19" 8ms Widescreen - Plantronics Audio 90 - Logitech Z-640 5.1 - Razer Diamondback Plasma LE on a Ratpadz GS
Linux Box:
Pending..
Old 05-22-2006, 07:51 PM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

nice post
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net

Old 05-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMojo
Be careful when doing the tips under "Advanced Users".. It could easily void your warranty.
Oh yeah! I forgot to add that in, Thanks for pointing that out!

And one more thing to add! - if you are looking to purchase a laptop cooler (pad with fans that sits underneath your laptop) there are two types that I have seen;

1: Blows air onto the laptop - akasa is one of them

2: Sucks air from the laptop - The 3 fan cooler in Maplin Electronics

they dont tell you in the description, I know cause I bought a few coolers.

Hmm laptops that circulates the air to the bottom, have not even heard or seen them (pretty stupid if you think about it) if you have this type of laptop I would recommend type 2.

If you have a laptop that circulates air from the bottom out to the sides/back, then go for type 1.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Junior Techie

i think those cooling mats are lame, but on this topic the fan in my new laptop is starting to make noises and its making me scared.

i cantly believe you recomend drilling holes in the case though...thats not something you can undo heh
Old 06-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Junior Techie

Quick way to get rid of dust is an air compressor and a nozzle to dispense said air, quick shots into the vents works wonders.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to AWorthyOpponent

Canned air works wonders for removing dust. Wouldn't drill holes in your laptop unless you KNOW what you are doing, thats something that you cant get rid of.

I recommend the "Thermaltake ixoft". Just so happens theres a review on it.
http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/peripherals/ixoft/
Old 06-08-2008, 07:02 PM
TWL Owner

Awesome post man, nice work.