Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Nitro
Default XP or Vista?

Ok so i am going to start a very controversial topic.

What do you guys think is a better operating system and why? Windows XP or Windows Vista?

Personally, at first i wasn't a huge fan of Vista, but now that i have used it for an extended period of time i now love it. I actaully hate using a windows XP machine.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Administrator

I feel the same way. I think Vista had a rough launch, where things were promised but weren't delivered on. All the IT community that had adopted early was annoyed with the incomplete features and of course went on to tell their less tech savy friends who seek advice from them. I think this is where all the bad rumors of Vista started from. After a few patches were rolled out and alot of the driver issues were fixed, Vista finally began to come into its own. I've been using the x64 flavor of Vista for a while now, and if there were problems to be had, I would have had them, and I have to admit I really haven't had any significant problems with it. I love the new features like the instant search, which I find myself using on a daily basis and the improved networking stack actually means I can utilize my dual gigabit ports to 100%. Frankly, I see Vista superior to XP in almost every way. People just don't like to change from what they're used to, and they've had a good 7 years to get used to XP. Vista was a rewrite of alot of legacy code that had been lingering around since the early years, and they finally went back and re-wrote it. Maybe Vista won't get the respect it deserves during its life cycle, but I hope people can wise up a little and actually try something before they bad mouth it.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Junior Techie

I think XP is much easier and user friendly then Vista. I installed vista but after a week I reintall the XP and working fine with XP
Old 11-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to AWorthyOpponent

When I had XP, I loved it and was extremely hesitant to switch to Vista. After building a new computer and installing Vista, I had one problem after another. I got BSOD's at least once a day and it always happened at the most inconvenient times. Once SP1 was released the BSOD problem was a thing of the past. I am using the 32-bit version of Vista now and I absolutely love it. As Nitro said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
...Personally, at first i wasn't a huge fan of Vista, but now that i have used it for an extended period of time i now love it. I actaully hate using a windows XP machine.
I couldn't agree more. I refuse to use XP on my own computers. There are a lot of bad rumors that are floating around about vista but in actuality, its a great operating system. You cant complain that its too slow because that just means your computer isnt up to par. I have a laptop that is over 3 years old, that came with XP home that was purchased for $1000. It is now running vista completely fine. If your computer is slow, there are things that you can do to make it faster such as turning off Aero. When you do this, you will notice a durrastic difference in performance. I wish people would actually give Vista a chance before they make fun of it because I know it would make their life easier.

P.S. Just because Outlook doesnt respond for a minute, doesnt mean that Vista is crap. (JasonD)
Old 12-22-2008, 12:28 AM
Junior Techie

Vista is better than XP In just about every way. you just have to give it a chance. Noone likes change....
Old 12-22-2008, 05:27 PM
TWL Owner

Vista is only missing horns and a pitchfork. If you open the right combination of applications a portal to the seventh level of hell opens and sucks you in.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Vista is only missing horns and a pitchfork. If you open the right combination of applications a portal to the seventh level of hell opens and sucks you in.
HAHA...now theres a video that you should take and show the world...MAC would pay big money for that...lol...
Old 12-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I'm sorry but Vista is so much better written than XP in terms of code quality. People just get pissy cause they can't run every single bell and whistle at the same time on their 5 year old e-machine. God forbid you have to disable a feature or two, or turn down the pretty. Everyone also complains about Vista and viruses. In terms of product releases, Vista has had significantly less viruses in it's life span than compared to XP in the same amount of time. XP wasn't even close to safe until service pack 2. If you plug an original unpatched version of XP into the internet, it will catch a virus withing about 10 minutes if you just leave it there (blaster worm anyone?). Don't even get me started about Macs. The forum server doesn't have enough space to store the rant that I have about that topic.