Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:52 AM
Junior Techie

Default Building a Gaming Rig

So, I've been saving up for a few weeks now and it's nearing time to buy parts for my new rig. I'm building a new gaming rig(Old one is really outdated), and I need some constructive criticism on my hardware choices. I'm not so informed on new tech so I read up a lot on it lately. I want a very stable, sturdy build.. I care very little for portability, it isn't going anywhere. I also listen to a LOT of music and I am a bit of an audiophile. I want it to be able to handle the latest games on max and be future proof for upgrades. I do care about aesthetics, which is why most of my parts are color-coded(A little obsessive compulsive maybe?). Gimmicks aside, I put a lot of effort into this, I just need to be sure it's perfected before I order everything. I will be gaming at 1650x1080, and don't plan on going higher. Thanks to everybody that actually read all of my long-winded speech. Now on to the hardware:

Raidmax Iceberg 3mm thick aluminum mid tower
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w psu
EVGA 750i FTW motherboard
XFX GTX 260(Plan on doing SLI as needed)
Intel e8600 3.33ghz processor(Doing stable OC @ 4.2ghz)
Cooler Master RR-CCH-LB12-GP 120mm cpu cooler
G.Skill 4gb PC6400 DDR2-800
LG 22x DVD Burner
Western Digital Caviar Black Edition 640gb
HT-Omega Striker 7.1 sound card
Samsung 226BW 22" Widescreen LCD
Klipsch ProMedia GMX A-2.1 speaker system
Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Also, I don't have the budget for it right now, but I'll be adding in a 300gb WD VelociRaptor, LG 6x blu-ray drive and/or the 2nd GTX260.

Last edited by abnormldood : 11-18-2008 at 02:55 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Raidmax Iceberg 3mm thick aluminum mid tower
This should work for you, the only thing I'd be worried about in it being a bit cramped if you're planning on putting in another graphics card, some mid towers don't play nice with the size of the 200 series cards

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w psu
The power supply will work great for you, I own one myself and haven't had any problems.

EVGA 750i FTW motherboard
This motherboard should work fine for you. I did notice that it has optical output, you may want to consider using it for your speaker setup if you're really an audiophile. Invest the money that would be going to the sound card and speaker to get a decent tuner and then buy speakers from where ever. Optical is nice because it has no degradation of signal quality.

XFX GTX 260(Plan on doing SLI as needed)
This card should work rather nicely for you.

Intel e8400
This processor will overclock to hell and back with the proper cooling. People have been easily hitting the 4GHz barrier for this chip, same with the E7200 if you want to save a few bucks. I run my E7200 at 3.6 GHz all day long with no problems.

Cooler Master RR-CCH-LB12-GP 120mm cpu cooler
Your case has support on the back for external water cooling if you want to go that route. It would be a lot better if you plan on overclocking

G.Skill 4gb DDR2-800
Memory should be fine, but your board and processor do support DDR2-1066 if you want the upgrade.

LG 22x DVD Burner
LG 6x Blu-Ray/HD-DVD drive
Western Digital Caviar Black Edition 640gb
HT-Omega Striker 7.1 sound card
Asus 22" 2ms Widescreen LCD
Klipsch ProMedia GMX A-2.1 speaker system
Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Everything else should be fine. It looks like you really did your research on this one. Hope the build goes well for you.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to AWorthyOpponent

My only recommendations would be to go ahead and get a quad core processor rather than the dual. When testing Crysis on maxed out settings, the quadcore was the limiting factor over 2 x GTX280's in SLI With 64-bit vista, there will really be a noticeable difference in performance. I haven't seen the GTX260 compared to the GTX280 in person, but from what I do know, I would at least think about getting a 280 rather than the 260.

Other than those minor performance enhancements, I think that this would all together be a good build.

Good luck with the build, Hope to see a picture of the finished product

Last edited by AWorthyOpponent : 11-16-2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-18-2008, 03:01 AM
Junior Techie

Default New Gaming Rig

Slight adjustment. I think that just about sums my build up now, at about $1810, just barely exceeding my pre-determined budget of $1800 which I lacked to mention. I also plan on going x58 + i7 + 6GB DDR3 when the i7 32nm chips come out, looks like it'll be a really sweet setup

I should be finished with this build in about a month, being I still have time to save up. Will upload pics~

Last edited by abnormldood : 11-18-2008 at 03:05 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:23 AM
TWL Owner

Overall I would suggest the i7 setup over the listed e8700 setup. The twin 260's are nice but a pair of cheaper 4870's will outperform them. As for the raidmax iceberg, it will certainly helpkeep your stuff cool but I think there are better looking towers out there. Check out the silverstone stuff or Lian Li.