Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 09-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to dr_hemlock2
Default keyboard mystery

Okay, as I pride myself at being a computer technician and advanced windows user here is my problem.
I have windows XP with SP2 I have been using my Microsoft natural elite keyboard with this system for a year now. The keyboard all of a sudden stopped working in windows. You ask yourself how I know this, the keyboard works fine when I boot up to my bios page also while booting system keys light up as they should. Thinking maybe the keyboard is bad, it works on another system fine and my backup keyboard works on other systems but when plugged into this system nada. I unplug keyboard from PS/2 port on MB the system gives a keyboard error like it should. When window’s finally loads no keyboard activity at all no lights nothing. Went to device manager there is a yellow “!” right before the device name “standard 101/102-key or Microsoft natural ps/2 keyboard” which is what my keyboard is. Also on properties under device status it says “device cannot start error code (10)” looked this up on Microsoft’s site did what was suggested. Said to uninstall, reboot and will be fixed, right did not happen. Guys and gals I am typing this with a mouse using virtual keyboard and this has to end. I asked god and he sent me here please help me.
“Doc”
Old 09-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Platinium Techie

Send a message via AIM to Tyler Send a message via MSN to Tyler

Welcome to the forums, sounds like quite an annoying problem, and it must have taken you a while to post this with virtual keyboard haha.

Anyway, does that keyboard have drivers? I would try and reinstall drivers if it does, also check for conflicts in your hardware properties.

Could you also list your system specs?
Old 09-25-2006, 07:45 AM
Techie

Default the detective novel (keyboard msytery)

i have looked for drivers for this keyboard at microsofts site to no avail. as far as system specifics here goes.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:01 PM
Techie

Default system specs (mystery keyboard)

here are my specs
Old 09-26-2006, 10:12 PM
Platinium Techie

What did you use to get those system specs?
Old 09-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Techie

Default specs info.

i used dr hardware 2006 it was more detailed than what i posted
"doc"
Old 09-26-2006, 10:34 PM
Platinium Techie

I just figured that out hehe, anyway, from that spec sheet it seems as if windows is detecting the keyboard fine with no conflicts.

Have you messed with any BIOS settings? Try setting your BIOS to default, sometimes wrong settings can mess with peripherals.

I did notice this particular link you may want to try... http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=5301

Also, you may want to try installing/re-installing IntelliType, http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...elliType%205.3
Old 09-27-2006, 07:16 AM
Techie

Default keyboard (msytery) cont.

thanks i will do just what is required
"doc"
Old 11-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Techie

I would suggest performing a system restore back to the time it was working correctly. I'd also run sysinternal's autoruns and check for anything suspicious, I've seen this type of thing happen before when a illicit program (keylogger, spyware) was hooking the keyboard.

Forcing hardware hardware redetection may fix it.
Boot the system from the WinXP CD. Have your CDKEY ready.
Select the “Install” option. (Don't select repair! The first repair option only verifies XP files against the XP CD versions and makes no system setting changes).
Setup will find the XP install that is already there and ask if you wish to repair it. Say yes.
Setup will run the upgrade code that will re-enumerate the hardware.

Also,
You can use this registry file to force device manager to show hidden devices:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

Then check for any grayed out phantom devices, right click and remove them in case they are interfering.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:06 PM
Techie

Default keyboard mystery resolved

iinstead of fretting over the problem any more decided to just reformat and reinstall solved the problem totally. also just after i did this i found my adapter to convert from ps/2 to usb a little late but i appreciate everyones help on this and if the admin wish to delete this thread it is fine with me.
"doc"