Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Hardware

Old 09-29-2004, 11:18 AM
Chronique Technique
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Prometheus
Default Computer Repair Necessities

If you have been called on to fix a computer...there is a short list of things you need.

Screwdriver with many heads to fit different screws.
Anti-Static Wristband to eliminate ESD (or touching the power supply a lot will suffice)
Spare Ram of all types. This is to test to see if RAM is damaged.
Air duster- Dusting hard to reach areas
Extra Screws- Never know when something needs screwing and no screws are included wth whatever you bought.
Linux and Windows boot disks for file recovery two good ones are BART PE and Damn Small Linux.
Thermal Grease
Extra PSU to test power (only necessary if you are a pro)
Plastic Ties for wire management

This list will be updated as seen fit.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:17 PM
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jason425 Send a message via Yahoo to Jason425

You don't need twist ties.. the more computers you fix the less you need to do to have a happy customer... Also, touching the power supply does little good unless it's grounded (plugged in)
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium
2005 Mazda3i in Strato Blue
http://www.jasondsmith.net

Old 09-29-2004, 03:14 PM
Chronique Technique
Lab Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Prometheus

im just following the A+ cert

also people sometimes ask you to clean up wires or sometimes you arent getting any air flow.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Lab Master Techie

I know.. I have it ..

how about making your own guides so you don't have to blame em on someone else

I have a hard time imagining the average joe with their dell asking you to clean up the cable mess.. and if they even know that airflow is something to thing about, they're probably taking care of that themselves.. but ya know.. even if they do ask you to do that, just do what I do! Shove the cables behind stuff so you can't see em! An air can is a nice thing to have.. although I don't have one.. :/
Dell Inspiron 1420 in Midnight Blue - Intel Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHZ/4MB - 2GB Ram - Nvidia 8400 GS 128mb - DVD/RW - 160GB 7200RPM - 14.1" Antiglare - Intel 4965AGN - Bluetooth 2.0 - 2MP Webcam - Vista Home Premium

Old 10-21-2004, 11:28 AM
Platinium Techie

yeah.. i dont much like twist ties, i usually just hide 'em somewhere... or sleeve so they glow :-)
Old 01-23-2005, 10:27 PM
F1a5hP01ntX

yeah, like your entire case... especially at night... eerie glow... tell them how much you love twistie ties and how many you got from work..... you were excited.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:25 PM
BobyJo

When I go to check out a system. First I remove the mobo from the case, install the cpu again "just to make sure everything is done right". Then I install a stick of memory, a video card and hook this up to a powersupply and a monitor I keep for this type of stuff. Then I hook up a hard drive w/OS already installed on it. Floppy drive I have already with a ribbon cable, all needed is to hook to a power connector and plug in the ribbon cable. These are the items I use to diagnose a problem.

1. Powersupply w/good amps on 12v & 5v rails
2. Working lightweight monitor & canned air
3. Hard Drive w/80 pin cable already attached OS installed
4. Floppy with 40pin cable already attached
5. Supply of Shin Etsu thermal paste for installing cpu
6. Supply of memory sticks & anti static strap
7. Supply of screws various sizes etc
8. Variety of screw drivers-Needle nose plyers,OmMeter,cold sorder etc.
9. Black Boot Disk w/repair utilities and diagnostic utilities etc
10.Virus detection disk & Program to find and remove all spyware

I have a 17" monitor that is very light in weight and works with every system I have found. The powersupply is a new 350Watt that I did not sell so I use it for diagnostics etc. The tool kit is not extremely large so It can be taken from one place to another when necessary.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:18 PM
Lab Master Techie

jo... maybe you should have specified that you do that for systems that don't boot at all or something.. if someone is complaining of popups you don't take the mobo out..

Old 04-29-2005, 07:35 PM
BobyJo

You are correct. I do not remove the mobo if the system boots as it should. These corrective measures are for a serious problem with someon's computer. Sometimes I find all sorts of stuff that is wrong and wonder how the system ever worked period. I have ran across the hs/fan attached to the cpu, the fan not plugged into the proper plug, no thermal compound between the cpu and hs, just for starters. Good thing most of these were Intel systems. AMD's would not do anything but burn out the cpu as soon as they put the power on. I have seen some of these also, the last one I found had the corner actually burned off the cpu. I just believe one should come prepared to handle most any problem, look for the worst serenio, than if it is not as bad as good be you are better off.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:46 PM
Platinium Techie

Send a message via AIM to Tyler Send a message via MSN to Tyler

I've not once ever used a anti static wrist band, and I've never had any problems heh. I once pulled out a video card when the computer was on (on purpose) and it wrecked the sound on my motherboard for some reason, thats about it.