PDA

View Full Version : What is RC5

XDiGiTaLX
12-03-2001, 12:27 AM
??? ??? ???Someone explain to me what all this RC5 seti@home all this junk (it seems junk to me) is! Thanks

VoidedWarranty
12-03-2001, 01:15 AM
it is software that during your cpu idle cycles, help find life on other planets :) ... there are also similiar software that does the same for say find a cure for cancer. It's pretty cool. Most of them can even be set to work in screen saver mode also.

XDiGiTaLX
12-03-2001, 05:28 PM
WTF? How putting a lil program find the cure for cancer and find other planets/! ??? SPAM::)

VoidedWarranty
12-04-2001, 02:42 PM
Well for the planets when you download the proggie it downloads a small part of code that was received by a radio telescope and during idle cycles on the cpu, this program searches the code for any "interesting" sound then sends it back to nasa or who ever and they check it out. This way users are decoding the majority of the code and nasa only has to deal with the "real" shit. And I think if your computer finds something thy name it after you! The cancer one works the same way.

aoC_PRoZaK
12-04-2001, 09:45 PM
and itīs one of the best methods to test an overclocked cpu under full load ;D

VoidedWarranty
12-04-2001, 10:33 PM
this is very true :)

XDiGiTaLX
12-05-2001, 10:07 PM
LOL!!!!

thats some funny point! :)

ok whynot VW make an rc5 team? ;)

Omega
12-06-2001, 12:27 AM
Yeah, there's a bunch of "Distributed Computing" projects. SPAMThe concept for all of them is there's a central server with massive amounts of data, and then millions of clients, which download and analyze little parts of the data. SPAMI know there's more than the two, SETI@home and the cancer one (UD (http://www.ud.com) is the one I'm a part of), but those are the two that come to mind for me. SPAMI'll rationalize my choice here:

SPAMWhile it's great that SETI could find some cool alien guys, the chances of finding anything is extremely low (there's infinite space to search...literally), and not all that beneficial, even in the moderately distant future. SPAMSearching for the cure for cancer, on the other hand, is helping all of humanity, and could be benefitial to billions of people starting in about 10 years (depending on all that FDA approval crap).

Anyway... SPAMI'm already on a team for the UD one, (place 180 something out of like, 700 team members), but I'd consider switching to SPAMa Netsmog/VoidedWarranty/HardwarePub team (seems as though I should support my site...eh? ;)). SPAMI'm actually running my personal account on about 7 computers, but I have no chance of placing anything on the individual ladder (1st place gets like, 100,000 points every day!!! SPAMThat's crazy. SPAMHe/she must have like, an entire office building full of computers running on his/her account.)

VoidedWarranty
12-06-2001, 02:29 PM
Well I'm all in it for the cancer one. My aunt recently dies from cancer. So I agreee 100% with omega, it's great we're looking for ET but the cancer one could be way more productive, sooner. So I'm all in starting a VW/Netsmog/HardwarePud Cancer Team !!!!!!

XDiGiTaLX
12-06-2001, 05:29 PM
What are the stats and points and all that shit for and how does it work?

Omega
12-06-2001, 07:58 PM
They have some big forumula that calculates how good your computer is (based on RAM, Proc, HDD space allocated to the program, net connection) and then do something like, divide how long your computer spent on a specific task by how good your computer is, to give you points, or something. SPAMThey have it explained in UD's FAQ's, I think.

XDiGiTaLX
12-07-2001, 05:16 PM
ok thanks! (lets make a damn team... my computer is on 24/7!!!) 8)