Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 12-03-2001, 12:27 AM
XDiGiTaLX

Default What is RC5

??? ??? ???Someone explain to me what all this RC5 seti@home all this junk (it seems junk to me) is! Thanks
Old 12-03-2001, 01:15 AM
VoidedWarranty

Default Re: What is RC5

it is software that during your cpu idle cycles, help find life on other planets ... there are also similiar software that does the same for say find a cure for cancer. It's pretty cool. Most of them can even be set to work in screen saver mode also.
Old 12-03-2001, 05:28 PM
XDiGiTaLX

WTF? How putting a lil program find the cure for cancer and find other planets/! ???  :
Old 12-04-2001, 02:42 PM
VoidedWarranty

Well for the planets when you download the proggie it downloads a small part of code that was received by a radio telescope and during idle cycles on the cpu, this program searches the code for any "interesting" sound then sends it back to nasa or who ever and they check it out. This way users are decoding the majority of the code and nasa only has to deal with the "real" shit. And I think if your computer finds something thy name it after you! The cancer one works the same way.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:45 PM
aoC_PRoZaK

and it´s one of the best methods to test an overclocked cpu under full load ;D
Old 12-04-2001, 10:33 PM
VoidedWarranty

this is very true
Old 12-05-2001, 10:07 PM
XDiGiTaLX

LOL!!!!

thats some funny point!

ok whynot VW make an rc5 team?
Old 12-06-2001, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

Yeah, there's a bunch of "Distributed Computing" projects.  The concept for all of them is there's a central server with massive amounts of data, and then millions of clients, which download and analyze little parts of the data.  I know there's more than the two, SETI@home and the cancer one (UD is the one I'm a part of), but those are the two that come to mind for me.  I'll rationalize my choice here:

While it's great that SETI could find some cool alien guys, the chances of finding anything is extremely low (there's infinite space to search...literally), and not all that beneficial, even in the moderately distant future.  Searching for the cure for cancer, on the other hand, is helping all of humanity, and could be benefitial to billions of people starting in about 10 years (depending on all that FDA approval crap).

Anyway...  I'm already on a team for the UD one, (place 180 something out of like, 700 team members), but I'd consider switching to  a Netsmog/VoidedWarranty/HardwarePub team (seems as though I should support my site...eh? ).  I'm actually running my personal account on about 7 computers, but I have no chance of placing anything on the individual ladder (1st place gets like, 100,000 points every day!!!  That's crazy.  He/she must have like, an entire office building full of computers running on his/her account.)
Old 12-06-2001, 02:29 PM
VoidedWarranty

Well I'm all in it for the cancer one. My aunt recently dies from cancer. So I agreee 100% with omega, it's great we're looking for ET but the cancer one could be way more productive, sooner. So I'm all in starting a VW/Netsmog/HardwarePud Cancer Team !!!!!!
Old 12-06-2001, 05:29 PM
XDiGiTaLX

What are the stats and points and all that shit for and how does it work?