Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Old 12-02-2001, 10:36 PM
cc_dex

Default Does this make sense?

I bought 2 10 MBPS NIC's off this guy on Ebay and when I email him back to say Thank you for sending them (I already sent the money) he replys 3 hours later with an attempt at sending me a virus.  Nothing in the email but two attached file a .dat file or "data" file and a .doc.scr file which means this "VIRUS do not open because no one in there right mind make a double extention file, it just dumb!!!".  Does this make sense to anyone?  Possibly he got this "virus" and its a automatic send along meaning it takes everyone in the address book and sends it to them but i cant see hat hapening.  Any suggestions from Netsmog/Hardware Pub is appriciated.  Oh and members reply too (Im not partial)
Old 12-02-2001, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega
Default Re: Does this make sense?

There have actually be several viruses going around recently.  BadTrans.B (I think that's it's name) is a common one.  I think it's more likely that he was infected and it automatically forwarded to you than it is that he sent you a virus intentionally.  I'd write another email to him saying you got a virus from him, and asking what the status is of your items, or just writing to check the status of the products, and seeing if he mentions something about it.  I thought I'd gotten the BadTrans.B virus, but it turned it was another computer that I had entered my email account information into, so I got all the emails saying that I tried to send dozens of people virus-infected emails.
Old 12-02-2001, 11:11 PM
cc_dex

I got my email returned from him saying it was from an annoymous location.  so someone must have hacked his address book.  Hmm hows that sound?
Old 12-03-2001, 05:53 AM
Bear

That sounds like he got the BadTrans.B virus !
Old 12-03-2001, 08:45 AM
Propig

What is this virus? I have not heard about it yet. How do I recognize it?
Old 12-03-2001, 05:04 PM
Bear

I've just heared about it, but a look at symantec
could give the answer.
Old 12-03-2001, 05:11 PM
Bear

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...mm.h<br /> tml
Old 12-03-2001, 05:15 PM
aoC_PRoZaK

i was infected. norton antivirus 2001 and 2002 can remove the virus out of dos mode by simply deleting kernel32.exe and kdll.dll
Old 12-05-2001, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Omega Send a message via AIM to Omega Send a message via MSN to Omega Send a message via Yahoo to Omega

Probably the way you'll find out about it is that many mail servers will email you saying that you've tried to send people infected emails.  Then look for kernel32.exe (clever name, if I do say so myself), probalby in c:\Windows\System\.  If you have that, you're probably infected.
Old 12-06-2001, 10:57 AM
lynchmob

Here where I work we received strange emails from those who had us in their address books.  These "worms" are apparently sending emails to everyone in the address book with an attachment containing a virus.  We discovered it when one of our resellers saw about 100 RE: emails, yet he never sent the original to begin with.  So he emailed all of us to warn us and tragedy was averted.  But to answer the original question:  YES, it is possible, and probably likely, that that guy never intentionally sent you a virus.