PDA

View Full Version : Odd windows 2000 problems...

The_Other_One
12-10-2001, 06:00 PM
OK, my grandparents wanted me to upgrade their computer because they were having endless problems with Windows ME. SPAMSo I took windows 2000 and began to install it. SPAMI don't remember exactly what screen it made it to, but it never got very far(never entered any information.) SPAMI appeared that it was thinking off the CD and HD, but nothing else...

Just yesterday, I installed 2K on my custom Cyrix, and it works great, never gave me any problems... SPAMSo whats the deal?

HP Pavilan(Grandparents computer)
Celeron 750MHz
64M RAM
50x CD
20G HD
Onboard intel video(sharing 16M of SDRAM)

My spare Cyrix
Cyrix 6x86 233MHz
128M RAM
52x CD
3.2G HD
Onboard SiS video(Sharing 8M of SDRAM

I knew their computer was cheap, but cheap enough that a Cyrix 233 was faster!? ???

Keefe
12-10-2001, 08:22 PM
Where you trying to upgrade from windows me? SPAMOr, did you totally reformat when you tried to install windows 2000? SPAMI have had some troubles when i have tried to upgrade. SPAMI usually format and then install from scratch....

About how far did you get with the installation? SPAMWhere you past the copying of files? SPAMDid it ask for the cd-key yet?

aoC_PRoZaK
12-10-2001, 09:09 PM
maybe too little ram?

The_Other_One
12-10-2001, 09:58 PM
I was upgrading...I guess. SPAMI was going to convert the drive to NTFS, but I guess that would still be just upgrading. SPAMBut this is how I've always installed it, and it worked fine.

I think it stoped about where it was starting to copy the files, because I think I remember it saying somthing about their DSL modem...

A couple people have said too little ram, but I though I'd get some error... SPAMAnd, I'm pretty sure I ran it on my K6-333 with 32M RAM about a year ago...

Simo
12-10-2001, 10:39 PM
Ive had sooooo many problems upgrading to Windows 2K esp. when converting to NTFS from FAT32. SPAM
I dont even bother with upgrades anymore.

I just hook up a hard disk in a firewire/usb cradle and copy everything to the HDD in the cradle.

Then I do a fresh install and copy it back.

Doesnt take very long if you use firewire and is alot less painful than an upgrade.

Keefe
12-10-2001, 11:19 PM
I am fairly sure that windows 2000 will not even attempt to install if you have below the minimum ram.

SinnopS
12-11-2001, 01:32 AM
definaly do a clean install, it will save u from so many problems in the future.

Omega
12-23-2001, 11:08 PM
Although I find this unlikely on an HP computer, it's possible that you'd need to install a 3rd party SCSI/RAID driver (also some ATA/100 controllers). SPAMThat can really foul you up. SPAMI know that on my ASUS A7V with Promise ATA/100 controller I had to install 3rd party drivers to get win2k install to work right, on the CUSL2-C I didn't, and I didn't for either for WinXP.