PDA

View Full Version : help with easy network

bilo86
07-20-2002, 05:44 PM
I am trying to network two PC's togethor with a D LInk DI-704P router. SPAM SPAMWhen I type in the router's ip address into my web browser i get a 404 error ( it doesnt work). SPAMBut then when I type in the routers defualt ip address...it works, i get to the setup page. SPAMcan someone please help..

Uranium-235
07-20-2002, 06:47 PM
sorry I have no expirence with this.

but I am sure someone here can help you

Oh and next time please post in the forum that this would belong in, for instance this would be networking.

/me moves to networking

Keefe
07-21-2002, 12:05 AM
bilbo86 can you please be a little bit more specific with what you are try to do... SPAMWhich IP address are you typing in the web browser? Your external (cable modem) IP, or your internel network ip? SPAM

If you can get to it with the default IP, I don't see what the problem is.

Omega
07-21-2002, 03:06 AM
From what you described, I'm thinking you're trying your router's WAN (internet) IP address in, and getting the error. This is supposed to happen, unless you manually configure it to do something else. Are you trying to configure it to do something in particular?

bilo86
07-21-2002, 05:50 PM
i can get to the router page using the router DEFUALT IP. SPAMwhen i try to set it up and save the changes then reboot..the internet still doesnt work.. SPAMit says my ip is 192.168.0.180.

what ip do i use for my lan ip address?

Omega
07-22-2002, 01:13 AM
Well, although I'm still not entirely clear on what's going on/wrong, I'll take a stab at it. I'm guessing when you say "my ip is 192.168.0.180" you're meaning that your computer's DHCP-assigned IP Address is that. This sounds generally right, although I would normally think it'd be more along the lines of 192.168.0.2 or .3.

If you're meaning this is your WAN IP address (that you're being assigned by your DSL or Cable ISP), something else is messed up, and I can give a few theories on that.

To answer your question, "What do I sue for my LAN IP address," dynamically assigning it from the D-Link router's DHCP server should be alright, but otherwise configure your TCP/IP information as follows:

IP Address: 192.168.0.x (I'd suggest going low, but make sure it's not 192.168.0.1, or any other device already on your network)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (unless you have an advanced setup, which I doubt you do)
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (again, unless what you're saying the "Default IP" of your router is something other than that)

Preferred DNS server: 192.168.0.1 (same as default gateway)
Secondary DNS server: leave blank

You say you get into the router, and "try to set it up." Could you elaborate somewhat on what you're trying to set up? Unless you have special needs, there probably isn't much you really have to set up...

Keep us posted...

bilo86
07-22-2002, 11:05 AM
I got it to work. SPAMAll's I had to do was un plug the power cord from the modem for a few minutes.

I dont know why I was asking you guys how to get into the router..that didnt even need to be done anyways. SPAMOh well...im up and working.