Techware Labs Header

Forums have moved

See this announcement for more details, or just go directly there.

Go Back   Techwarelabs Community > Tech > Hot Deals

Old 07-20-2003, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess
Default Dell $499 (DVD-Burner & 17CRT included)

WOW.

What else can I say? The DVD burner itself makes half of the cost. It also even has a Pentium 4 2.20GHz (which can be upgraded for $30 to a 2.40GHz on a 533MHz bus) instead of a Celeron processor, the typical choice for sub $800 prebuilt systems. The DVD burner isn't even the sole optical drive, it accompanies a 48X CD-ROM which will mean that it can be very useful for cloning CD's. My only complaints about this system would be that it only includes 128MB of RAM, which can be upgraded, but also it has integrated video and audio. How much can you expect though out of a system which you could only put the motherboard, processor and DVD drive together for the same cost? The system even comes with a 60GB 7200RPM hard drive and their legendary keyboards (this one has multimedia buttons on it). I almost forgot to mention it comes with a 17 inch monitor. With the integrated audio and video, this is not a gaming machine, but it is still a stellar deal for almost any other purpose. This system even includes something that many prebuilts don't; both ethernet adapter and modem. I am against prebuilt systems for the most part, however, this system has definately taken me aback.

A quick summary:
  • 4X DVD+RW
  • Pentium 4 2.20GHz
  • 60GB 7200 RPM HD
  • Dell Quietkey Keyboard
  • 17 in. CRT
  • $499 (After MIR)

You can buy/customize it here!
Old 08-05-2003, 05:01 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Keefe Send a message via AIM to Keefe Send a message via MSN to Keefe Send a message via Yahoo to Keefe

Wow that sure seems like a good deal.

IS there anything like 10 years of Dellnet required or something like that?
Old 08-05-2003, 12:49 PM
Ryon

no there wasnt, the down side was the dvd-burner was a limited time offer
Old 08-06-2003, 10:10 PM

Yeah. I have to admit that was quite a good deal. Is it still going on with the DVD burner?
Old 08-07-2003, 12:49 PM
Ryon

nope :/
Old 08-08-2003, 12:43 AM
Mac_forever

Dell always has a computer deal with a free cd-rw, flat panel, dvd recordable, etc. Just need to see their commercials on TechTV, local channels, and some other cable networks. I have seen most of these deals before. Most of the time they are good ones too. Just don't get a computer that has a celeron processor, unless you will only be using it as a internet and office apps computer. Try to get a P4.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to vee_ess Send a message via AIM to vee_ess Send a message via MSN to vee_ess Send a message via Yahoo to vee_ess

Yeah, but no big name brand has ever had a deal nearly that good. Just the burner monitor and OS (for those who spend money on the OS) made up the price. So basically you get a 2.4 GHz system free with a 60 gig HD, too. Man, my grandma really missed out!
Old 08-14-2003, 08:30 PM
Kamikazeee

Default Ryon...

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subinjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only dream in which we are an imagination of ourselves. Fear is gone with the weather. "

Just so you know at the end its not Fear is gone with the weather...its "Heres Tom with the weather"
Old 08-14-2003, 09:05 PM
maddan

Acer here in australia has the same kinda deal through some retailers, same specs for computer just cost you AU$260 for upgrade to dvd burner; but u can get it even cheeper if you work at a school; which is good for me. ONe price i saw was AU$999 for:
Celeron 2.4ghz
256mb ddr
40gb hDD
48Xburner or upgrade for AU$260 to dvd burner
onboard graphics, lan sound and all that
modem
MM keyboard
optical mouse
XP home
17"crt monitor
1 year onsite warranty

thats througha company called learning with technologies
http://www.lwt.com.au/stafforder.pdf

i have seen some around the same price elsewhere that arent just for staff members at schools. SO it isnt just Dell doing their deals
Old 08-17-2003, 12:13 AM
Mac_forever

I just saw that commercial with the free 15" LCD. It costs about $250US if you don't get the free LCD deal. Now that is a good deal.