I have a confession to make, I’m a pack rat. There, I’ve said it. I can’t seem to get rid of my old stuff. I keep finding new ways to re-purpose it. The same goes for the stuff on my hard drive. I just keep using up more space. With more people ripping blu-ray movies to their computer, the problem becomes compounded. A full quality 1080p movie can take up around 8GB. Backing up your movie collection can quickly burn through hard drive space. Fortunately for yours and my data hoarding needs Western Digital has released their new 3TB Green Drive. We reviewed their 2TB iteration a while ago, can this newcomer live up to its predecessor? Read on to find out.
Western Digital’s Overview:
As hard drive capacities increase, the power required to run those drives increases as well. WD Caviar Green drives make it possible for energy-conscious customers to build systems with higher capacities and the right balance of system performance, ensured reliability, and energy conservation.
- Massive capacity – WD Caviar Green SATA drives now deliver up to a massive 3 TB’s of storage on a single drive.
- WD meets the technological challenges of implementing 3 TB SATA hard drives – SATA hard drives are now capable of storing up to 3 TB of data on a single hard drive. WD is leading the way in the industry, providing you with solutions for implementing 2.19 TB and larger drives.
- Reduced power consumption – WD has reduced power consumption making it possible for our energy-conscious customers to build systems with higher capacities and the right balance of system performance, ensured reliability, and energy conservation.
- Cool and quiet – Drives with WD GreenPower Technology yield lower operating temperatures for increased reliability and low acoustics for ultra-quiet PCs and external drives.
- Perfect for external drives – External drive manufacturers can eliminate the need for a fan in a high-capacity product by utilizing the cool and quiet operation of WD Caviar Green hard drives.
- IntelliPower – A fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance. Additionally, WD Caviar Green drives consume less current during startup allowing lower peak loads on systems as they are booted.
- IntelliSeek – Calculates optimum seek speeds to lower power consumption, noise and vibration.
- NoTouch ramp load technology – The recording head never touches the disk media ensuring significantly less wear to the recording head and media as well as better drive protection in transit.
- Advanced Format (AF) – Technology being adopted by WD and other drive manufacturers as one of multiple ways to continue growing hard drive capacities. AF is a more efficient media format that enables increased areal densities. (RS and RSDTL models only)